Unable to install evalai

When trying to install evalai following the steps in the spllit-devkit (pip install evalai), I got constant errors like this:
“ERROR: Could not build wheels for lxml, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects”

I have tried both in windows and the ubuntu environment from the distro. I have tries to reinstsall lxml… Every time, same error on the installation

Hi,

Do you have the same error running pip3 instead of pip?

Yes, but i got the same error.

Hi,

I had one similar error (not the same) with the lxml library when running the command evalai challenge 2164 phases. Other commands ran just fine.

I realized that I had two conflicting versions of the lxml library, one at the system level (Ubuntu in my case) and the one in Python. So what I did is to pip uninstall the Python one, and then the command worked again.

Try that and let me know if it helps!

Got the same issue here, any progress?
I tried following this solution, but evalai requires lxml==4.6.2 which only exists for python 3.6 apparently…

It works for me on Ubuntu 22.04, python 3.10 and pip 22.0.2

What python and pip versions are you using?

The difficulty came from running this all on windows - the wheels for lxml==4.6.2 are only built for python3.6 there.

I ended up solving it by creating a second conda environment just for submission, which runs on python3.6. There I could run pip install evalai without issues. Thank you!

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks for this. It is now working on my side as well

Using WSL Ubuntu 22.04 with the recommended python 3.10, I found that I had to install libxml2 and libxslt dev packages for the lxml package to install correctly. I ran ‘sudo apt install libxml2-dev libxslt-dev’.